Cockatiels are one of the best birds you can have as pets. They exhibit many color mutations and as per the presence of colored feathers in their body, they are further categorized as clear pied cockatiels, heavily pied cockatiels, and lightly pied cockatiels.
Let’s take a deeper look at this topic…
What does pied mean in cockatiel?
- If a cockatiel contains a single pied gene it will show patches of different colors like yellow or white in their grey body here and there.
- But if a cockatiel contains two pied genes, the bird will display more vibrant and larger color patches all around the body.
So in short, pied cockatiels are much more colorful and vibrant-looking birds that are popular for their beautiful aesthetics.
Is my cockatiel pied?
Heavy Pied Cockatiel vs Light Pied Cockatiel vs Clear Pied cockatiel vs Perfectly Pied Cockatiel
What is heavy pied cockatiel?
What is a Perfectly Pied Cockatiel?
What is a Lightly Pied Cockatiel?
What do you mean by Clear Pied Cockatiel?
Clear Pied cockatiels have white or yellowish-white colored faces. They can be mistaken as white-faced or lutino cockatiels instead of pied ones.
The thing that makes them different from them is the fact that these cockatiels unlike Lutino or white face cockatiels, do not have red-colored eyes. They have just one or two darker-colored feathers on their body.
How much is a pied cockatiel?
Are pied cockatiels friendly?
Yes, pied cockatiels are very friendly birds that have tremendous reserves of love and affection for their fellow humans. They come in many vibrant color combinations and have got a bold personality of their own.
They are a part of the parrot family and hence love to be petted and can mimic sounds very well. They can develop a wide range of vocabulary with persistence from your end.
These birds crave human affection and need to be given attention otherwise they can develop bad habits of biting and can develop depression.
How old is my pied cockatiel?
The age of your pied cockatiels can be deciphered by:
- The feather growth and overall appearance: The younger cockatiels will have a baby face and their overall size will be smaller. The colored feather patches on the face will be smaller if the bird is young. The feet texture will feel smoother in younger birds and can get rougher with age.
- The feet nails and beak texture and size: The beak size of younger cockatiels will appear larger as feathers around the beaks will be of shorter size. The feet’ nails will be longer in older birds and they will start bending inwards.
- The overall energy and movement of the bird: The male ones will be much more vocal than the female ones and will whistle more. Hissing and biting are much more common in females when they are angry.
- Vocal palace of the birds: If the bird can whistle sweetly and already have a vocab of many words, likely, the bird is already many months or even years old. Younger cockatiels and female ones do not talk a lot whereas male matured cockatiels can be noisy.
How long do pied cockatiels live?
- Cockatiels like all birds are susceptible to diseases if they are not kept on a balanced diet that is nutritionally diverse. Birds in the wild don’t have the luxury of having a well-balanced diet every day.
- The cockatiels living at home have no risk of predator attack. While most birds in the wild get preyed upon by larger birds or other animals.
- Birds living at home tend to live a much happier life as they are being treated mostly as a child and all of their needs are taken care of. Whereas cockatiels living in the wild need to look after themselves all on their own and live a much more stressful life.
What does pied cockatiel eat?
Pied cockatiels like eating leafy veggies, berries, seeds, and fresh fruits on a daily basis. A cockatiel diet may generally have about 75% of pellets and 25% of fruits, veggies, and seeds in it.
Seeds should be a small part of their diet and not a majority portion. It should be used more as a treat and in case your bird currently consumed loads of seeds as a part of their diet, slowly reduce it and replace it with other fruits and veggies.
Pellets should be the ideal diet for cockatiels and should compromise a major portion of the diet. They are formulated in a way that takes care of the nutritional needs of these birds.
Make sure to thoroughly wash every fruit and vegetable you bring from the market as birds are very much susceptible to pesticides. You should be wary of the fruits and veggies that are safe and unsafe for birds to eat.
How can you tell if a pied cockatiel is male or female?
- You can also notice colorful patches in form of dots on the backend of the body or in the tail on the grey body. This signifies that the cockatiel is a female.
- Another way of identifying the gender of the cockatiels is by judging their vocalizing abilities. Male birds tend to whistle and learn to talk more quickly than females as out in the wild the male ones attract the females by whistling and making sounds.